Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Importance of Hope

Canon's Mom at 26 Weeks
 Photo by Kevin Still
Have you every considered the importance of hope in your life? Life is not an easy road, there will be a lot of challenges and I've begun to see hope as a way to propel yourself through even the most difficult of circumstances. 
This morning we're heading out to see the doctor again....you know the one, the scary perinatologist, the guy with the gloom and doom bad news?? Anyway, I was reflecting a bit on my mental state because I realized I felt hopeful. I thought that was funny because typically I operate under the delusion that every difficult situation I have in my life can be solved by MY actions, I can study harder,  I can prepare and I think I can MAKE something better. I was thinking this morning that part of the reason this pregnancy is so frustrating is because I feel so helpless! It doesn't matter what I read or prepare because ultimately Canon's life is not controlled by me and that got me thinking....why do I feel helpless but NOT hopeless?
I remembered a verse this morning and of course I had to look it up, but the Bible also talks about hope and faith together in Hebrews 1:1: Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  I am not a theologian so don't hold me to my interpretation of verses but I was reminded that HOPE comes from God and it is important but hope also comes from within. I know that even though I cannot see the outcome ahead of me or what will happen today, tomorrow or the next day I have the assurance that God is in control of the outcome and He will give us the hope and strength to get through life. That's the strange thing about hope, you don't hope for what you DO see but for what you DON'T see....kind of like faith. My hope has to be in God's goodness and grace that He sees the outcome and it's what Kevin and I need; maybe not what we want but most certainly what He has planned for us. Here's HOPING for a good appointment!

  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful thoughts, Joni. I love that picture. Thank you for being so strong, and for inspiring me to be filled with hope. God is good, and we can trust in Him, in all things. For that truth, and for your hope, I'm thankful.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete